Pet friendly hotels are becoming more and more common for dogs of all sizes, especially in the California region. Some hotels are not only embracing them, but are now providing pets with luxurious animal services such as treats on a pillow, customized dog bowls and other various amenities. Surprisingly, staying at a dog friendly hotel in California requires a fee of $100 or less. From San Francisco to San Diego, here’s a list of the best hotels for you and your furry four-legged family members.
- Cavallo Point the Lodge at the Golden Gate (Sausalito): It’s your lucky day! Cavallo Point allows two dogs of any size for one flat rate of $75. Unfortunately the lodge has a limited amount of pet friendly rooms, so calling in advance is highly recommended. Like other pet friendly hotels, this hotel provides some dog supplies such as a customized bowl, luxurious bedding, dog towels and a bag of treats.
- The Fairmont, San Francisco: Dogs are an additional $75 per stay. The Fairmont is great for pets because they truly treat them like royalty! The pet friendly room at The Fairmont includes a dog toy, a blanket and a candle that keeps pet odors under control.
- Best Western Plus Beach Resort Monterey: Up to two pets are welcome at the Monterey resort for an additional $30 per night. All guests with pets will be given a room on the first floor.
- Carmel Valley Ranch (Carmel): For an additional nightly fee of $150, pets are welcome at this lovely resort in Carmel. Dogs that stay at Carmel Valley ranch are accommodated with a dog bed, water bowl, and various pet amenities.
- Fess Parkers Doubletree by Hilton Resort Santa Barbara: Dogs are an additional $30 per night at this Hilton Resort and each room allows up to two dogs, 75 lbs or less. People travelling with pets are assigned to the pet friendly building, which is separate from the main building. Unfortunately pets are not allowed to be left unattended in the rooms.
- Big Bear Frontier (San Bernardino County): Sweet deal, this hotel offers pet friendly rooms for only $15 per pet per night. There is no specification on how many pets you can have per room.
- The Peninsula Beverly Hills: The fee for The Peninsula hotel is $35 per day for your four-legged family member of any size. The rooms are accommodated with a plush bed, towels, water and treats. For an extra fee, the hotel offers dog walking, pet spa treatments and pet room service (doggie burgers!).
- Loews Coronado Bay Resort (San Diego): There is no size limit for pets at this hotel, with a fee of $25 per stay fee (2 pets per room). Room service menus offer dog and cat specialties as well as pet sitting services. Loews even offers an annual Surf Dog Competition every June. Enter your dog of any size into the contest and witness your four-legged friends ride the waves.
Things to buy before traveling with your dog:
- Dog bowl (travel size)
- Dog bed
- Dog accessories (leash, toys, collar, jacket if you’re traveling to somewhere cold)
- Dog food
For a full list of things to bring, check out our guide on traveling with pets.