The internet has been abuzz with discussion and sadness for the loss of our famed astronaut Neil Armstrong. He passed away last year around this time, on August 25th, 2012. Neil Armstrong was a great scientific mind, and he made history when he was the first man to walk on the moon. He received his B.S. from Purdue University and his M.S. from University of Southern California, both in aeronautical engineering, the perfect subject for the man who coined the famous phrase (originally misquoted) ” That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind”. We’re celebrating the man who brought us the moon with a few interesting facts about Mr. Neil Alden Armstrong.
1. Neil Armstrong was known for making unfunny jokes about the Moon, then following up with “Ah, I guess you had to be there.” Good one, Neil!
2. Since the anniversary of his death, Neil Armstrong has been mentioned over 20,ooo times around the internet, including blogs, Twitter, Forums, News articles, and Facebook.
3. Armstrong was a war hero, a Navy Pilot in the Korean War, and loved he to fly. He got his pilot’s license before a driver’s licence, through sheer determination. We think he was a forward thinker; a plane is a much better way to get dates than a car.
4. Neil Armstrong never returned to space after landing on the Moon during Apollo 11. He became a college professor at the University of Cincinnati in the department of Aerospace Engineering.
5. Armstrong became a voice actor in 2010, voicing the character of Dr. Jack Morrow in “Quantum Quest: A Cassini Space Odyssey”. It was an animated scifi adventure movie.
6. After 1994, Armstrong stopped accepting requests for autographs because they were selling for large amounts of money and people were forging his signature to make quick cash.