As fall enfolds us, we start to put up storm shutters, seal the windows and pull our woolies out of storage. We become hermetically sealed in our homes; the air, people, pets, dust and cleaning chemicals are locked inside.
This fall, consider steps to keep your interior environment green and clean. Because the green movement is in full swing, it’s easier than ever to find environmentally friendly products and with a little aforethought, you can lessen your eco footprint and keep homes fresh.
- eBay Classifieds has fabulous clothes that you can try on before buying and score great outfits for a fraction of store prices.
- Organize a clothes swap.
- Plan your fall/winter wardrobe BEFORE shopping; this cuts down on impulse purchases.
- Get timeless styles you will love year after year.
- Repurpose clothes. Zem of Ecofabulous, in a recent eBay Classifieds Twitter Chat, told us how to make seat cushions from leather jackets found on eBC.
- Repair instead of discarding. Colleen Vanderlinden of PlanetGreen gives “9 Essential Clothing Repair Skills – Make Your Clothes Last Longer!”
- Look for green dry cleaners, return wire hangers and get rid of dry cleaner bags that can hold chemicals in your clothes.
- Stop drafts coming under doors by getting the kids to make Draft Snakes from neck ties.
- Insulate, insulate, insulate.
- Buy programmable thermostats.
- Plug in an energy monitor to see which appliances are power pigs.
- Put on a sweater; the heavier the sweater the more energy you save.
- Insulate pipes.
- Seal your ducts.
- Declutter so there is less to clean and post your unwanted items on eBay Classifieds.
- Use reusable cloth towels instead of paper towels.
- Replace one electrical appliance with a manual device, then never use the electrical one again. I chose a hand cranked can opener.
- Zem also encourages buying pre-owned furniture. Keeps furniture out of the landfill and eliminates pollution associated with manufacturing.
- Bring plants in to help clean the air.
- Stainless steel water bottles are BPA free, can save you money by using your own water and will reduce the amount of plastic in landfills.
- When possible use a clothes line instead of the dryer.
Go green options are wonderful and totally doable. The more conscious steps we take toward eco friendly sustainable living, the more second nature green decisions will become. That’s a good thing!
Today I’ve got two questions for you. 1. What electrical appliance can you do without? 2. How do you remember to bring your green grocery bags into the store rather than leave them in the car?