We’re all about connecting with our local communities here at eBay Classifieds, since we’ve got local sites in over 270 cities across the country. One of our favorite community activities in the summer is visiting your local farmers market.
• Strolling up and down the aisles taking in all the luscious sights, smells, tastes and sounds is incredible! Locally grown produce, honey, flowers, baked goods and jams are in full abundance and ready to take home. Here are my top 10 tips for shopping at a farmers market:
• Make a menu for next week and shop for ingredients or print out the recipes you’re planning to try and bring them with you. Our eBay Classifieds Ambassador Tricia, from Once A Month Mom menus and recipes you can check out.
• The vendors may not have a lot of change, so bring lots of $1, $5 and $10 bills.
• Wear sunscreen, a hat and comfortable shoes. You don’t want to get burned to a crisp while you’re shopping under the summer sun!
• Bring several reusable tote bags. I have a bunch of different ones for baked goods, jars, fruit and flowers. It’s eco-friendly and saves the vendors from having to give you one of their own bags.
• Bring your own reusable plastic containers for soft berries, like blueberries and raspberries. That way, if you don’t buy a half flat, they don’t get squished in your bag.
• Arrive early or late – early birds have their choice of the best selection, but latecomers can take advantage of end-of-market discounts.
• Walk around the entire market first to see what everyone has to offer. Then go back and revisit the stands that really caught your eye.
• Ask your child to pick a fruit or vegetable they’ve never seen before and ask the vendor how to use it in a recipe. You and your kids can experiment by preparing the new dish together at home.
• Bring a camera. Snap a few photos of vegetables and fruit displays, blow them up and frame them to create inexpensive, unique pieces of art to decorate your kitchen!
• Go on an empty stomach! Many vendors offer free samples, so there’s so much great food to try.
• Once you get your goodies home, arrange your flowers in a pretty bud vase like this one on eBay Classifieds Chicago, arrange fruit in a unique container like this Tuscan fruit bowl, and grill up your fresh veggies on a fantastic barbeque grill.
Grab your bags, camera, cash and an appetite, and have fun at the farmers market! If you’re not sure where to find one in your local area, visit the Announcements section under Community on eBayClassifieds.com.